Sunday, July 2

LELEPA, HOW I LOVE THEE



It's really hard to understate the emotional effect we've had on the community of Lelepa. Partly because it's hard to imagine the cultural differences, and how that factors, without having lived with them. For the past nine weeks, and from the very first day, they have treated us like we were their own children - in some cases they have treated us LIKE children, and modifications had to be made. Without wanting to sound egotistical I have to admit that we (the Peace Corps training group) were, in many ways, the biggest thing to happen to Lelepa in god knows how long (since WWII, maybe?). I mean, it's a very small island, very tight community, very culturally protected and isolated from the mainland. And then 20 white Americans arrive and mix it all up. The families were all so incredibly excited about hosting us, and participated in every way they could. Not a single thing happened in the past 9 weeks that the entire island didn't know about within one day. This is to say we served as entertainment for them. A huge curiosity. But so much more than that, since we were actually living with them - under their care. They tried so hard to be pleasing and accommodating and they succeeded. Many times the host-family/Trainee dynamic was little more than functional, but in many cases, like mine, the relationship became very personal and even evolved over time as the comfort level grew. We started out strangers, with them instinctively adopting a parental role, but I made it a point to move it more into an adult friendship thing. And that worked with me, but not so much with some others. In any event, parting was very difficult - a hundred times more so for the Ni-vans. Most of us were simply bewildered by the outpouring of affection during the last week on the island, and the tears that flowed on the final day would be enough to float a boat. Sometimes it was embarrassing, but it was always touching. With this context in mind, I want to share the text of the speech I gave at our swearing-in ceremony. The ceremony was attended by all the host families and dozens of other community members, over 50 additional invited guests, the Peace Corps staff and several currently serving volunteers. It was four hours of speeches that included an opening and closing prayer and individual Volunteer commencements - just like graduating college. I didn't know it until the moment it happened, but mine was the final speech and the only English speech (three trainee were asked to volunteer to speak, one in bislama, one in English).

It may sound a bit sappy, but it's from the heart and was written for the incredibly wonderful, generous, warm, and sincere people of Lelepa. I haven't given many public speeches, but never before have I ever done something that was so incredibly well received - it's such a simple thing, but it's the most proud I've felt since the day I arrived here. People I never met before, who happened to be in the audience, were thanking me and congratulating me on a such a nice speech - and more than a few people told me I made them cry. Indeed, I gave a test run to my friend Jess, and was surprised, and pleased, to see her cry. You may not think it much, but here it is...

"I have the distinction and honor of giving not only the last speech of the day, but also the only one in English.

Robert Moler told us to remember this day forever, and I think most of us would find it a hard one to forget. But I want us to try, for just a moment, to remember the first day we were all together like this. It was the first day the trainees arrived in Lelepa, the day we met you in this nakamal.

I remember feeling excited. I remember feeling nervous. I remember feeling incredibly awkward.

But I also feel really, really proud.

Like all other PCT's I went through a lengthy process filled with tons of paperwork, and long periods of waiting.

Like all PCT's I made many sacrifices - giving up my job, my car and home, and my friends and family, to come and see what I could do in Vanuatu.

On that day when we first met each other I was so very happy and proud of myself to finally be sitting in that room.

And then something occurred to me - as each of us was called up to the stage to meet our host families - something occurred to me for the first time.

All the host families, indeed all of Lelepa, had also been working hard for this moment, had also been making sacrifices.

You were preparing, building, and waiting.

You were also excited...

You were also nervous...

You were also awkward.

And I was, for the first time, feeling so proud for an entire room of people. Two completely different cultures coming together with the same goals, to help each other and to learn from each other.

I want to acknowledge and pay tribute to the host families and the Lelepa community for inviting us strange white men and women into your homes and caring for us like we were your own pikinini's.

It's true that you cooked us food, made us some clothes, did our wash.

It's also true that you taught us your culture, your language, and your way of life.

But the fears and anxieties we ALL felt on that first day quickly faded thanks to the warmth and hospitality or the momma's and the pappa's.

All PCT's are very much aware of the impact our presence has had on Lelepa.

We've explored your hills and caves.

Swam in your saltwater.

We've played in your volleyball and futbol games.

climb your trees, and killed your chickens.

During all this we've tried our best to be culturally sensitive and to make as little impact on your community as possible.

For all the times we might have failed, on behalf of group 19A, I'd like to offer my apologies and ask for your forgiveness and ask that you extend the same warmth and forgiveness to group 19B, arriving in October, who will certainly make the same mistakes as we did.

Four weeks ago all PCT's left Lelepa for 1 week to visit our future islands. I remember when we first came back many trainees, including me, said it felt good to be home again. That we missed our home in Lelepa.

Home?

How did Lelepa, in only 6 weeks, become our home?

In America we have a saying - Home is where the heart is.

Thanks to the host families, thanks to this beautiful island, thanks to the community here, my heart has been in Lelepa.

While I, and all trainees, will need to make new homes beginning next week, Lelepa, for the rest of our lives, will always be our first impression, our first experience, or real Vanuatu.

And therefore, Lelepa, and the Ni-vans here, will always have a place in my heart and each time I visit - and I WILL visit - I'm sure I will always feel at home here.

Now 9 weeks after first meeting you I feel proud all over again.

Proud for all of us.

On behalf of 19A I wish to thank the PC trainers, the community of Lelepa, and especially the host families for participating in our training.

My biggest hope is that we've given you a positive impression of a United States citizen.

I also want to extend good wishes for your future.

I hope your experiences with tourism projects are positive. I wish you well in completing your new church and your schoolhouse improvements.

And I wish you good luck with group 19B

Thank you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading through your blog and catching glimpses of my nephew Matt, part of Group 19A. Keep up the great job writing!

Anonymous said...

Lovely, Buddy! Keep up the good work and keep us posted!
Miss/Love,
Freddy