Tuesday, February 20

DEAR ELIN

Dear Elin,

Thanks for your post on the previous entry. My name isn't Jeff, however. That was just a letter to another PCV who served on my project before me.

I'm excited for your impending "dive" into the Peace Corps - you are about to have a truly unique experience. Too soon to say whether it will be good or bad, but it will certainly be unique. hahah. Try and muscle your way onto Tanna Island 'cause we kick ass down here. Of course you will have no say whatsoever about which island you get.

Please send me a list of any questions you may have - I would be very happy to provide you any advice or information you may want or need. Please use my email: bserwalt@gmail.com.

If you are scheduled to begin training in April, as I did just last year, then you will likely get a one-day trip to our annual All-Volunteer conference which happens the second week of May. We will get a chance to meet at that time!

Some Tips: Bring a cheap hammock, lots of zip-lock bags, and if you wear contact lenses you should definitely bring them - the water is clean here!

No need to bring sunscreen, bugspray, or medical supplies such as tylenol - the medical office provides an endless free supply. Oh, and no one wears sunglasses outside of Vila. I know it's dangerous but that's how it is.

And my iPod is the best friend I ever had. Without it I may shrivel up and die. Get one, load it up as much as possible, and bring it along with a solar charger.

Best of luck with the rest of the process!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BRETT,
Thank you so much for the tips-it's greatly appreciated. I actually don't graduate until May, so I won't be there for the Volunteer Conference. I was nominated to leave sometime late summer, so we shall see. I'll be sure to save your e-mail adress and let you know how things work out.